I live outside the Netherlands. Can I get Dutch student finance if I study in the Netherlands?

Do you live outside the Netherlands and are you planning to study or do an internship in the Netherlands? Whether you’re eligible for student finance from the Dutch government depends on your situation and whether you meet the conditions. 

Conditions for student finance

To receive student finance from DUO (the Education Executive Agency), a number of general conditions apply: 

  • You are between 18 and 30 years old. There are 2 exceptions to this:
    • There is no minimum age if you are doing a higher education (HBO or university) course.
    • If you are doing a vocational education (MBO) course and are not yet 18, you can only apply for a public transport allowance.
  • You are doing or are going to do school-based vocational training (MBO BOL) or a course in higher education (HBO or university). You cannot get student finance if you are doing block or day release apprenticeship training (MBO BBL).
  • Your course takes at least 1 year.
  • You are enrolled as a full-time student, or in a course combining study and work experience. You cannot get student finance if you are studying part-time.
  • Your course is recognised in the Netherlands. Your school or university can tell you if this is the case.
  • You have Dutch nationality or a type II, III, IV or V residence permit. If you have a type I residence permit or you, your partner or your parents come from another EU/EEA member state, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, go to the DUO website to see whether you are eligible for student finance (information in Dutch).

I do not meet the conditions

If you do not meet the conditions, see whether you are eligible for another DUO scheme. (information in Dutch).

If you are a resident of another EU member state, you may be able to get student finance from that country. Go to University fees and financial help on the website. 

I meet the conditions

If you meet the conditions, you can only get student finance from DUO if you are not receiving student finance from the government of another country. 

Find out how to apply for student finance

Find out what arrangements you need to make for student finance before you leave


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Also useful