What do I need to arrange if I want to marry in Norway?

If you are a Dutch national planning to marry in Norway, you will need to provide certain documents. And you may need to meet extra requirements.

Can I get married in Norway?

Contact the tax office (Skatteetaten) in the place where you want to get married. The tax office can provide details about getting married in Norway.

If you are a Dutch national with a permanent residence permit for Norway, the requirements for getting married are the same as for a Norwegian national.

Same-sex couples can get married in Norway.

You cannot get married at the Dutch embassy.

Requirements for getting married for Dutch nationals

If you are a Dutch national and you want to marry, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You and your partner must be 18 or older. If you are under 18 and you marry abroad, the Dutch authorities will not recognise your marriage until you and your partner are both 18.
  • You and your partner must not already be married to or have a registered partnership with someone else.
  • If you are under guardianship, you will need the permission of your guardian or of the limited jurisdiction judge (‘kantonrechter’).
  • The following family members are not allowed to marry each other or enter into a registered partnership with each other: parents and children, grandparents and grandchildren, and brothers and sisters.

What documents do I need to marry in Norway

To get married in Norway you will need the following documents:

Is my marriage valid in the Netherlands?

Marriages performed in Norway are recognised in the Netherlands. But you must have your marriage certificate legalised.

Do I have to register my marriage in the Netherlands?

You may need to register your marriage in the Netherlands. This depends on where you live.

If you live in the Netherlands, you must register your marriage with your municipality. You will need your marriage certificate to do this. Ask for a marriage certificate in English. This document does not need to be translated, but you must still have it legalised.

More information about having documents from Norway legalised

If you live outside the Netherlands, you can have your marriage certificate converted into a Dutch certificate by the municipality of The Hague. This is not mandatory, but it can be useful if you ever need an extract in the future.

More information about registering a foreign marriage certificate in the Netherlands

Additional information

To arrange a civil marriage make an appointment with the municipality (Tingrett) where you want to get married. Do this well in advance. To arrange a religious marriage contact the local church or another registered religious community.

Find out more getting married in Norway on the Norwegian government website

Find out more about getting married in Norway on the website of the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration