What do I need to arrange if I want to marry in Japan?

If you are a Dutch national planning to marry in Japan, you will need to provide certain documents. And you may need to meet extra requirements.

Can I get married in Japan?

Ask the organisation that you want to perform the marriage whether the rules in Japan allow you to marry there as a Dutch national.

Same-sex couples cannot get married in Japan. Same-sex couples can enter into a partnership in Japan. However, this partnership does not give you the same rights as a marriage or as a registered partnership performed in the Netherlands. To enter into a partnership you will need the same documents as you would to get married.

You can get married at a Japanese municipal government office. You cannot get married at the Dutch embassy.

The marriage will be recorded in the register of the municipal government office. You will receive an extract in Japanese.

Requirements for getting married for Dutch nationals

If you are a Dutch national and you want to marry, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You and your partner must be 18 or older. If you are under 18 and you marry abroad, the Dutch authorities will not recognise your marriage until you and your partner are both 18.
  • You and your partner must not already be married to or have a registered partnership with someone else.
  • If you are under guardianship, you will need the permission of your guardian or of the limited jurisdiction judge (‘kantonrechter’).
  • The following family members are not allowed to marry each other or enter into a registered partnership with each other: parents and children, grandparents and grandchildren, and brothers and sisters.

What documents do I need to marry in Japan?

To get married in Japan you will need the following documents:

A declaration of marital status shows that you are unmarried. To get this document, you will need to submit a number of other documents.

More information about applying for a declaration of marital status

Attention: Please note: the documents you need depend on the municipal government office. Ask the office where you want to get married for details. Remember that getting the necessary documents and having them translated and legalised can take a long time.

Is my marriage valid in the Netherlands?

Marriages performed in Japan are recognised in the Netherlands. But you must have your marriage certificate legalised.

Do I have to register my marriage in the Netherlands?

You may need to register your marriage in the Netherlands. This depends on where you live.

If you live in the Netherlands, you must register your marriage with your municipality. You will need your marriage certificate to do this. First have your marriage certificate translated and legalised.

More information about having documents from Japan legalised

If you live outside the Netherlands, you can have your marriage certificate converted into a Dutch certificate by the municipality of The Hague. This is not mandatory, but it can be useful if you ever need an extract in the future.

More information about registering a foreign marriage certificate in the Netherlands