Legalisation of documents issued by embassies and consulates in the Netherlands

Language selection:English

The Consular Service Centre (CDC) in The Hague can legalise documents issued by a foreign embassy or consulate in the Netherlands.

Other foreign documents must be legalised in the country where they were issued. In certain cases, the CDC can help Dutch nationals have their foreign documents legalised.

Which foreign documents does the CDC legalise?

The CDC legalises documents issued by a foreign embassy or consulate in the Netherlands. Or by a foreign embassy or consulate in Belgium or a country in the region, if they are accredited for the Netherlands.

In most cases these documents are consular certificates. Occasionally they are official copies and extracts from the foreign country's civil status records. The most common consular certificates are:

  • a certificate of renunciation of nationality
  • a certificate of unmarried status

Requirements for your document

Your document must be original and complete. If the document refers to other documents or annexes, these must be included.

Translation of your document

If your document is not in English, French, German or Dutch you might need to have it translated. The following rules apply:

  • Your document must be translated by a sworn translator.
  • It must be translated into English, French, German or Dutch.
  • If the sworn translator is registered outside the Netherlands, you must also have the translation legalised.

Having documents legalised by the CDC

Legalisation at the front desk

Hand in your document to the CDC's Legalisation Desk. You can also ask a friend or family member to do this for you.

How long does it take?

The average waiting time for legalisation is one hour. If you have more than 20 documents, you will need to wait longer. Documents submitted before 11.30 can be collected the same day. Documents submitted after 11.30 can be collected from 9.00 the next working day.

Legalisation by post

Send your Dutch document to the CDC by registered post. You should include your name, address, email address and telephone number.

How long does it take?

You will receive a letter telling you how much you need to pay for the legalisation. Once the CDC has received your payment, it will send you the legalised document within 21 days.

CDC legalisation costs

Legalisation costs €10 per document. You only can pay by cart at the Legalisation Desk. If you are posting documents, your payment must be received in full before your legalised documents are returned to you.

Contacting the Consular Service Centre (CDC)

The Consular Service Centre is part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.

Address for visitors

Rijnstraat 8
2515 XP Den Haag

Opening times

Weekdays from 9.00 to 12.30. It is not possible to make an appointment.
The Legalisation Desk is closed on public holidays in the Netherlands.

Postal address

Postbus 20061
2500 EB Den Haag



From within the Netherlands: 024-7247 247
From outside the Netherlands: +31-247-247-247


Send an email to:

Is my document suitable for legalisation?

Your document might not be suitable for legalisation. To check this, you can submit your document to the Consular Service Centre (CDC) by email before coming to the front desk. The CDC will then email you to tell you if your document can be legalised. This could save you time and money.

Submitting your document by email

Make a scan of your document and submit the scan by email. If your document is suitable for legalisation, you can have it legalised at the front desk. You can also send it by registered mail.

If your document is not suitable for legalisation

If the CDC cannot legalise your document, you will be informed immediately at the desk. If you emailed your document to the CDC to be checked, you will be informed by email. If you sent documents by post, you will not be reimbursed for postage costs up to €15.

Which documents cannot be legalised?

The CDC cannot legalise the following documents, for example:

  • documents issued by an embassy or consulate that are not legally valid in the Netherlands such as documents relating to consular divorces
  • documents stating that goods were not produced in or shipped via Israel
  • religious certificates, such as certificates of Christianity or baptism certificates
  • documents stamped 'seen by'/'gezien door' or 'seen for copy'/'gezien voor kopie'