Do I qualify for benefit under the Work and Income (Capacity for Work) Act outside the Netherlands?

If you work abroad and have become unable to work (in part or in full) due to sickness or disability and you are insured in the Netherlands, after two years you may be entitled to benefit from the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) under the Work and Income (Capacity for Work) Act (WIA). However, you must meet certain conditions.

Attention: If you don’t know where you have incapacity insurance coverage or whether you are insured, first check where you are insured.

Conditions for WIA benefit

  • You have incapacity insurance coverage in the Netherlands.
  • You are unable to work at least 35% of your normal hours. That means you cannot earn more than 65% of your normal salary.
Attention: The UWV determines the degree to which you are unable to work. Sometimes this requires a medical assessment. If that is the case, you will be informed after submitting your application for WIA benefit. Assessments usually take place in the country where you live.

Applying for WIA benefit

If you meet the conditions, find out how to apply for WIA benefit.

You do not meet the conditions

If you do not meet the conditions, you cannot receive WIA benefit from the UWV. You may, however, be entitled to incapacity benefit in the country where you live. Find out what you can do if you become unable to work due to sickness or disability outside the Netherlands.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.