Applying for a certificate of marital status in the United States of America

Are you a Dutch national, living in United States of America and do you need a certificate of marital status? The Dutch embassy in Washington or consulate-general in New York, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago en San Francisco do not issue this certificate. You can get this certificate from the authorities in United States of America.

In the United States, you can prove your marital status in several ways.

You can request a no found certificate or a certificate of non impediment from one of the following authorities:

  • your local County Clerk's Office
  • State Registrar
  • Bureau of Vital Statistics
  • the court

In addition, an attorney can draft a single status affidavit for you.

Warning: If you are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) in the Netherlands, apply for this document from the municipality where you are registered. You may need to have the declaration/certificate translated and legalised before you can use it outside the Netherlands.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.