Applying for a certificate of marital status in Costa Rica

Language selection:English

Are you a Dutch national, living in Costa Rica and do you need a certificate of marital status (certificación de estado civil)? The Dutch embassy in San José does not issue this certificate. In Costa Rica you can get this certificate at the Registro Civil.

Warning: If you are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) in the Netherlands, apply for this document from the municipality where you are registered. You may need to have the declaration/certificate translated and legalised before you can use it outside the Netherlands.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.