Certificate of legal capacity to marry in the United Arab Emirates

Are you a Dutch national planning to marry in the United Arab Emirates? If you have never lived in the Netherlands, the consulate-general in Dubai can draw up a certificate of legal capacity to marry for you.

Have you ever lived in the Netherlands?

Are you a Dutch citizen and do you live in the Netherlands or have you lived in the Netherlands? In that case, you must apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry (verklaring van huwelijksbevoegdheid) from the municipality where you live or where you last lived. Were you a minor when you left the Netherlands? Then you must also apply at the municipality where you last lived. The certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Attention: Check the website of the municipality where you are applying to see what documents you need. These documents may differ from the ones mentioned on this page. 

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, you need copies of the following documents:

  • a valid Dutch identity document
  • an extract from the register of births
  • a civil status extract showing that you are not married. The extract may not be more than 12 months old
  • a divorce certificate if you have previously been married

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

What documents does your non-Dutch partner need?

When you apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, your non-Dutch partner needs copies of the following documents:

  • a passport or another identity document

  • an official document stating his or her address (this document varies from country to country)
  • a declaration of unmarried status.

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Extra documents

In addition to the documents mentioned above, you must also provide the following:

  • A photocopy of your current UAE residence visa and previous residence visas.
  • Proof that you deregistered from the last municipality you lived in in the Netherlands, stating your marital status at the time you deregistered. If you left the Netherlands before 1994, you can request proof of deregistration from the Central Population Registers Office of the municipality of The Hague (tel. +31 (0)70 353 3177/fax. +31 (0)70 353 2850).
  • If you lived in another country or countries after leaving the Netherlands but before arriving in the UAE, you must provide proof of your marital status for the period in which you lived in each country.
  • If you hold another nationality in addition to your Dutch nationality, you must provide a photocopy of your passport or identity card for the other nationality.

How do I apply for a consular declaration?

You can apply by e-mail:

  1. Send your e-mail to:
  2. Include the name of declaration and your surname in the subject of your email.
  3. Please indicate in the email what you need the declaration for. So the consulate-general will state the purpose of your declaration in the declaration.
  4. Do not forget to mention your (mobile) telephone number in the email.
  5. Make a PDF of all the required documents and send it as an attachment (a photo of your documents is not allowed).
    Is the PDF file too large to send in one go? Then split the documents and send them in 2 (or more) emails.

Is your file not complete? Or is something unclear or do you have questions? Then you may have to send additional documents.

How will I receive my declaration?

You can pick up the declaration at the embassy. You'll receive an email once your declaration is ready. The email will state the time frames for you to pick up the declaration.

How much should I pay?

The statement costs €30. You'll pay upon picking up the declaration at the embassy, either in cash (AED) or by credit or debit card.

How long does it take?

After receiving your proof of payment, it takes about 5 working days to process your request.

Do you have to send additional documents because your application is not complete? Then it takes longer.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.