Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of legal capacity to marry in Tokelau

Are you a Dutch national planning to marry in Tokelau? If you have never lived in the Netherlands, the Dutch embassy in Wellington, New Zealand, can draw up this certificate for you.

Attention: Due to the coronavirus, the possibilities to apply for this declaration at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. To see if it is possible to make an appointment, please check the online appointment system (unless otherwise indicated). If no times are available, it is not yet possible to submit an application at the embassy or consulate general.

Have you ever lived in the Netherlands?

Are you a Dutch citizen and do you live in the Netherlands or have you lived in the Netherlands? In that case, you must apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry (verklaring van huwelijksbevoegdheid) from the municipality where you live or where you last lived. Were you a minor when you left the Netherlands? Then you must also apply at the municipality where you last lived. The certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Attention: Check the website of the municipality where you are applying to see what documents you need. These documents may differ from the ones mentioned on this page. 

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, you need copies of the following documents:

  • a valid Dutch identity document
  • an extract from the register of births
  • a civil status extract showing that you are not married. The extract may not be more than 12 months old
  • a divorce certificate if you have previously been married

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

What documents does your non-Dutch partner need?

When you apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, your non-Dutch partner needs copies of the following documents:

  • a passport or another identity document

  • an official document stating his or her address (this document varies from country to country)
  • a declaration of unmarried status.

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Certificate of legal capacity to marry in this country or region

How to apply for a consular certificate at the Dutch embassy in Wellington?

You can send all the required documents per post to:

Netherlands embassy
Attn. Consular section
Co-operative Bank Building, 10th floor
Corner Featherston & Balance streets
Wellington 6011

You can also scan the documents and send them per email. The certificates need to be specified for it’s purpose, so please mention the purpose of the certificate in your letter or email.

On average it takes 3 working days for the certificate to be produced and posted to the submitted address*. If you send originals, these will also be returned.

* Do you live in Fiji, New Caledonia, Samoa or Tonga? Then the embassy will send the certificate to the honorary consulate in those countries. You can pick up the certificate at the honorary consulate.

If you want to come in person to the embassy in Wellington, you'll have to make an appointment via the online appointment system.

How much do you need to pay?

For the costs of a certificate you can check the overview of consular fees.

Applications via post or email

For applications by post or email you increase the amount with the shipping costs* for the courier. For both applications by post and via email, the total amount must be paid by cheque to the embassy. Please mention on your cheque:

Kingdom of Netherlands - Regional Support Office Asia, and mention "consular certificate + your name".

Applications in person

If you want to apply in person, you will have to pay the total cost (certificate + shipping costs * if applicable) at the time of your application.

* Shipping within New Zealand: NZD 9.00. Shipping to American Samoa, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Niue, Pitcairn Islands, Tokelau Islands, Tuvalu or Wallis and Futuna: NZD 18.00.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.