Certificate of legal capacity to marry in Egypt

Are you a Dutch national planning to marry in Egypt? If you have never lived in the Netherlands, the Netherlands embassy in Cairo can draw up this document for you.

Have you ever lived in the Netherlands?

Are you a Dutch citizen and do you live in the Netherlands or have you lived in the Netherlands? In that case, you must apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry (verklaring van huwelijksbevoegdheid) from the municipality where you live or where you last lived. Were you a minor when you left the Netherlands? Then you must also apply at the municipality where you last lived. The certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Attention: Check the website of the municipality where you are applying to see what documents you need. These documents may differ from the ones mentioned on this page. 

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, you need copies of the following documents:

  • a valid Dutch identity document
  • an extract from the register of births
  • a civil status extract showing that you are not married. The extract may not be more than 12 months old
  • a divorce certificate if you have previously been married

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

What documents does your non-Dutch partner need?

When you apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, your non-Dutch partner needs copies of the following documents:

  • a passport or another identity document

  • an official document stating his or her address (this document varies from country to country)
  • a declaration of unmarried status.

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Additional information about the documents required for your application

In addition to the documents mentioned earlier on this page, the following applies to the application for a certificate legal capacity to marry in Egypt:

  • If your partner has a (valid) Egyptian ID card it should be translated by a certified translator.
  • The certificate of residence of your prospective spouse must be issued by the local police or the Shahr ’Iqari. The document must be legalised by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and translated by a certified translator.

  • At your request, the embassy can issue the certificate in Arabic. Do you want to use the statement in Egypt? Then you must have it legalised by the consular department of the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

How do I apply for a consular declaration?

You can apply by e-mail:

  1. Send your e-mail to:
  2. Include the name of declaration and your surname in the subject of your email.
  3. Please indicate in the email what you need the declaration for. So the embassy will state the purpose of your declaration in the declaration.
  4. Do not forget to mention your (mobile) telephone number in the email.
  5. Make a PDF of all the required documents and send it as an attachment (a photo of your documents is not allowed).
    Is the PDF file too large to send in one go? Then split the documents and send them in 2 (or more) emails.

Is your file not complete? Or is something unclear or do you have questions? Then you may have to send additional documents.

How much should I pay?

Is your application complete? Then you will receive an e-mail with the following information:

  • The total amount you have to pay: a statement costs €30.
  • The reference number to use with your transfer. Please note: if you do not use the reference number, this will lead to a delay in issuing the statement.
  • Payment instructions: transfer in euros to the bank account of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.

As soon as your payment has been received, the embassy will draw up the declaration.

You will receive your declaration digitally by e-mail.

How long does it take?

After receiving your proof of payment, it takes about 10 working days to process your request.

Do you have to send additional documents because your application is not complete? Then it takes longer.

Do you need an original certificate?

If you require an original certificate, please state this clearly in your email.

The embassy does not send certificates by post. You will receive an email from the embassy when the certificate can be picked up.

Check the embassy's contact page to see on which days and times you can do this.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.