Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in United Kingdom

Are you a Dutch national living in the United Kingdom (UK)? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? From Tuesday, May 26, 2020, it is again possible to apply for a passport or ID card at the Dutch embassy in London. Note: because of the Coronavirus, fewer appointments are available than normally and the procedure is different than usual. In case you are unable to book an appointment, please try again later.

Due to the corona virus, the possibilities to apply for a passport or ID card at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. Please check the online appointment system to see if it is possible to make an appointment. If no times are available, it is not yet possible to submit an application at the embassy or consulate general. In that case, for the time being you can only submit your application at a number of Dutch border municipalities and at Schiphol.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. You should therefore create a personal checklist for you or the child you're applying on behalf of. Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • You must appear in person to apply for your passport. Someone else is not allowed to do this for you. This also applies to someone under the age of 18. He or she must also be present at the application.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for the United Kingdom

Depending on your country of residence, additional document requirements may apply. Below you can find out about the requirements for the United Kingdom.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In the United Kingdom, you can do this by providing one of the following documents:

  • a bank statement bearing your address;
  • a utility bill bearing your address;
  • proof of payment of council tax;
  • if you also hold the UK nationality: a valid UK passport or ID card.

If the Home Office has your document

If the Home Office has your Dutch passport or ID card, you cannot apply for a new travel document or emergency document. You should ask the Home Office to return your passport or ID card.

Renewal (adults): if your passport or ID card expired more than 2 years ago

Do you only hold the Dutch nationality and has your most recently issued Dutch passport or ID card expired over 2 years ago? You will need to submit a ‘Confirmation of the non-acquisition of British citizenship’ with your application. You can request this from UK Visas and Immigration.

Applying on behalf of a minor: certificate of marital status

If the child's parents were not married at the time of the child's birth, and the child was born in the United Kingdom, it is not possible to apply to the UK authorities for a certificate of marital status. For the period that the parents spent in the UK, this completed and signed declaration is sufficient.

Applying on behalf of a minor: proxy consent via a court of law

If, in the case of joint parental responsibility, one party does not give their consent for a passport or ID card application to be submitted on behalf of the minor, proxy consent via a court of law has to be obtained. Such consent is not required for an ID card application for a minor aged twelve and older.  

If the minor lives in the United Kingdom, you can contact a lawyer or the local citizens advice bureau for more information.

First-time application: legalisation of documents

Does your personal checklist (step 1) state that you must have a document legalised?

Name change

Are you planing to change your name or have you changed your name?  For more information on this topic, check the page Name change.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in the United Kingdom

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the United Kingdom, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in the United Kingdom (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

Because of the coronavirus, until further notice, you cannot yet make an appointment at the VFS Global offices in the UK.

Make an appointment at the embassy in London

From Tuesday, May 26, 2020, it is again possible, to a very limited extent, to apply for a passport or ID card at the Dutch embassy in London. You must make an appointment via the online appointment system. After you have made an appointment, you will receive an email with a provisional appointment confirmation. Follow the instructions in the confirmation e-mail very precisely. If no appointments are available, please try again later.

Make an appointment using the online appointment system.

Space in the waiting room is limited. If you arrive too early, please wait outside. Friends and extended family are not allowed into the waiting room.

Please ensure you have completed the application form in full and that you have the correct photos. Please be on time. If there is anything missing from your application, the embassy cannot help you and you will have to make another appointment.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in the United Kingdom.

Payments can be made by debit or credit card (Visa or Mastercard). American Express cards, money orders and cheques are not accepted.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document at the Netherlands embassy, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document (due to the Corona virus NOT possible until further notice)

You can collect your document from the embassy in London or VFS Global in London or Edinburgh.

You will receive an invitation by email to collect your document from the embassy or VFS Global as soon as it is ready. You will have to collect your new travel document within 3 months of the date if issue. If you don’t collect your document within this period, the embassy will make it invalid and you will have to apply for a new travel document. When you collect your document, you should bring the invitation with you. You do not need to make an appointment.

Have your document sent by post

You can have your new passport or ID card sent to a UK address by Royal Mail Special Delivery. You will have to pay the GBP 7 postage charge yourself.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

If you did not hand your old passport or ID card in when you submitted your application, please bring it with you when you come to collect your new one. The embassy or VFS global will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in London.