Certificate of life in Uganda
If you live in Uganda and you need a certificate of life, the Dutch embassy in Kampala can draw up this document for you.
Due to the corona virus, you cannot apply for this certificate at an embassy or consulate-general until further notice.
When might you need a certificate of life?
Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).
What documents do you need?
To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:
- you must have a valid Dutch identity document
- you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
- you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
- you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate
You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.
Getting a certificate of life stamped
Some Dutch financial and benefits agencies draw up their own certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can then sign and stamp these documents (free of charge). This means you don't have to apply for a separate certificate of life.
But you will need to meet following conditions:
- you must be a Dutch national
- you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
- you must produce a valid Dutch identity document
- you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
- You must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member
Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary
If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.
Certificate of life in this country or region
You can also go to a local notary to have your documents stamped.
Make an appointment via the onlnie appointment system.
Please check the overview of consular fees for the cossts and payment method.
Do you have any further questoins? Please send us an e-mail via the contact form.