Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Switzerland

Are you a Dutch national living in Switzerland? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Netherlands embassy in Bern.

You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at the Schiphol desk.

On 21 and 22 April 2020 the embassy will organise a consular session in Basel. Check the news article (in Dutch) for information about the application procedure.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. You should therefore create a personal checklist for you or the child you're applying on behalf of. Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • All applicants must appear in person; this includes children.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for Switzerland

Your documents may need to meet additional requirements in a given country. Below you can find out about the requirements for Switzerland.

Enter your partner's name in your passport or ID card

Is the name of your spouse/partner not yet mentioned in your Dutch passport or ID card? And do you want his/her name to be listed in your passport or in your ID card for the first time? The information below shows what you should bring to the embassy.

Is the name of your spouse/partner already on your current passport or on your current ID card? Then you do not have to bring a copy of the marriage certificate to the embassy.

Additional information regarding birth and marriage certificates

Does your personal checklist (step 1) indicate that you must bring a birth certificate and/or marriage certificate when you apply? Then read the information below carefully.

Are you or were your parents born or married in Switzerland?

Please provide an international ICCS extract from the marriage register. The extract must have been issued in the last 12 months. Family books (Familienbuch/livret de famille) or family certificates (Familienschein/certificat de famille) will not be accepted.

Are you or were your parents born or married in France?

Please provide a complete official copy (copie intégrale) of the birth and/or marriage certificate.

Are you or were your parents born or married in in Germany?

Please provide a multilingual international extract of the certificate.

First-time application

Does your personal checklist (step 1) state that you need to get a document legalised? And do you have a birth certificate or marriage certificate issued by Switzerland? Then legalisation is not necessary. You can use these documents directly for the application of your passport or ID card.

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Switzerland

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Switzerland, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in Switzerland (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

You can also make an appointment online to visit the embassy in Bern. You will need to make a separate appointment for each document (passport or ID card). So, if you want to apply for a passport and an ID card you will need to make two appointments.
Please note that the waiting time for an appointment can be several weeks.

On 21 and 22 April you can also apply for your passport or ID-card in Basel. See news item (in Dutch) for more information.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Switzerland.

Payments can be made with a debit card (Maestro) or a credit card (Mastercard or Visa). Card payments will be processed in euros (EUR). Your bank may charge you for this.

Payments can also be made in cash, in Swiss Francs (CHF).

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 3 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. In that case, the decision period will be extended.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the embassy. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to  track the status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the embassy in Bern between 9.00 and 15.00 Monday to Friday. You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to your home address. The embassy sends your new document (s) by registered mail and in a special envelope made available by the embassy. The costs for shipping are for your own account. You pay them at the time of your application. The costs depend on the weight of the envelope.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The embassy will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.
If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.


If you have any questions, please contact the embassy in Bern.