Certificate of legal capacity to marry in Hungary

Are you a Dutch national planning to marry in Hungary? If you have never lived in the Netherlands, the Netherlands embassy in Budapest can assist you in drawing up a certificate of legal capacity to marry.

Are you a Dutch citizen and do you live in the Netherlands or have you lived in the Netherlands? In that case, you must apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry (verklaring van huwelijksbevoegdheid) from the municipality where you live or where you last lived. Were you a minor when you left the Netherlands? Then you must also apply at the municipality where you last lived. The certificate is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Check the website of the municipality where you are applying to see what documents you need. These documents may differ from the ones mentioned on this page. 

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, you need copies of the following documents:

  • a valid Dutch identity document
  • an extract from the register of births
  • a civil status extract showing that you are not married. The extract may not be more than 12 months old
  • a divorce certificate if you have previously been married

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

What documents does your non-Dutch partner need?

When you apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, your non-Dutch partner needs copies of the following documents:

  • a passport or another identity document

  • an official document stating his or her address (this document varies from country to country)
  • a declaration of unmarried status.

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

How much do you need to pay?

A consular certificate costs €30,00 per certificate.

In some countries, the authorities will not accept certificates that have been issued digitally. In that case you will need to pay more to have a paper version sent to you. Find out the situation for your country below.

Please transfer the total amount in euros (EUR) payable to:

Bank details
Bank name ING Bank N.V.
Adress bank Financial Plaza, Bijlmerdreef 106
Postal code bank 1102 CT
Bank location Amsterdam
Account holder Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Address Rijnstraat 8
Postal code 2515 XP
Location Den Haag (The Hague)
IBAN NL57 INGB 0705 0010 08

Important! When making the transfer please state the following: VOH - <initials and last name> - <country/city where you apply for the certificate>.

For example: VOH - PJ Janssen - US, Washington

Certificate of legal capacity to marry in this country or region

In case your non-Dutch partner was married before, he/she needs to bring a divorce certificate as well.

How do your apply for a certificate?

Send a scan (in pdf format) of all the required documents to: bdp-ca@minbuza.nl. Please attach a proof of payment (in pdf format), for example proof that the costs have been deducted from your bank account. Also don’t forget to mention in your email why you need the certificate.

How long will this process take?

The average processing time for applications is 10 working days. You may be asked to send additional documents if your application form is not complete. Please note! This may result in a delay in processing your application.

You will receive the certificate via email.

Extra costs for original certificate

If you need to have the certificate translated into Hungarian, you will need an original certificate. Please state this clearly in your e-mail.

In this case, the embassy will arrange shipping via courier at an additional cost. Sending the certificate is at your own risk.

You pay the extra costs when the document is delivered to you. Depending on where you live, the extra costs are on average between 3,000 and 4,000 Hungarian Forint (HUF).


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. Please send your questions via the contact form.