Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Ethiopia

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Ethiopia, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Addis Abeba.

Important notice!

If the EU travel ban has been lifted for the residents of your country, you can apply for all visa categories. If the EU travel ban has not been lifted for the residents of your country, you can only apply for a visa if you fall under the exemption categories. Check the page " Q&A's Travel restrictions for the Netherlands" to see for which countries the EU travel ban has been lifted and what the exemption categories are. You cannot apply if the embassy/consulate general or the external service provider is not open for service. Please check if you can make an appointment via the appointment system. Are there no dates available? Then it is not yet possible to submit an application.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

How to apply for an MVV in Ethiopia?

Regular MVV applications (with appointment)
For regular MVV applications you will need to make an appointment via our online appointment system.

MVV family reunification after asylum and pass permit

How do I make an appointment

For an MVV application (after approval IND) please make an appointment via our online appointment system.

What documents do I need to bring

Make sure to bring the following documents:

  • Scan/copy of the MVV-approval
  • The full names, date of birth and v-number of the applicant(s)
  • The ARRA/UNHCR ration card number of the applicant(s)
  • Name and place of the refugee camp where the applicant is staying if applicable or alternative place of stay
  • Correct and functioning phone number of the applicant(s)
  • Email(s) and mobile phone number(s) of the referent/contact person in the Netherlands
  • mandatory:  a copy of the English ARRA/UNHCR/PROOF OF REGISTRATION

How do I collect my MVV

After your application you will receive a collection slip for collecting your MVV. The collection day and time are mentioned on your slip. Please only show up on the day / time mentioned. Do not make an appointment.

Pass permit to leave the refugee camp

In case you need a pass permit to be able to leave your refugee camp, you or your representative will need to send an e-mail (in English) to the embassy containing the following details:

  • full name of applicant(s)
  • V-number(s)
  • name of the refugee camp
  • ration card number(s)
  • telephone number of applicant(s)

The embassy will request the Administration of Refugees and Returnees Addis Ababa (ARRA) to grant the pass permit(s) so that you can leave your refugee camp.

Please note that after the embassy has sent the request for a pass permit to ARRA, it can take up to two weeks or longer before you are allowed to leave the camp.


The embassy will report the use of false and counterfeit documents to the Ethiopian authorities, depending on the forgery.

False and counterfeit documents will not be returned to the applicant.

Civic integration exams

You will need to schedule an appointment.

Send an e-mail to make an appointment.

DNA sample taking

Only the embassy can make an appointment for DNA sample taking, for which the consular officer will contact the related persons.