Applying for a passport or ID card if you live in Australia

Are you a Dutch national living in Australia? And do you want to renew or apply for a Dutch passport or identity card (ID card)? You can do so at the Dutch Consulate-General in Sydney. You can also lodge your application at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport.

On September 16, 17 and 18 you can also apply for a passport or ID card in Melbourne. See news article for more information.

You can apply for your Dutch passport in Brisbane on the  21 and 22 of October. More information you can find here.

From November 6, 2019, you can also apply for a passport or ID card at the yet to be opened office of the external service provider VFS Global in Perth.

Step 1: Create your personal checklist

It is important for your passport or ID card application that you bring the correct documents with you. You should therefore create a personal checklist for you or the child you're applying on behalf of. Then you’ll know what documents to bring. Step 2 shows you whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.

  • You may need to have the original legalised.
  • You may provide documents in Dutch, English, German or French. Abroad and at the passport desk at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, you may also provide documents from the civil registrar in Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you must have them translated by a sworn translator.
  • You may be asked to provide additional documents.
  • All applicants must appear in person; this includes children.

If no checklist is being displayed, try again later. Or try reloading the page or opening it in a different browser.

Once you have completed your checklist, please continue with step 2.

Step 2: Check the additional requirements for Australia

Depending on your country of residence, additional document requirements may apply. Below you can find out about the requirements for Australia.

Proof of legal residence

You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In Australia, you can do this by providing one of the following documents:

  • a valid visa sticker in your current passport;
  • a recent letter from the Australian immigration service confirming your visa status;
  • a VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online) record;
  • if you also hold the Australian nationality: a valid Australian passport or ID card.

It is possible that your details are not held in the VEVO database. For instance, if you have not left Australia in the past 20 years. Or if you hold dual nationality. If this is the case, you can contact the Australian immigration service on 131 881 (from inside Australia). In most cases, your VEVO record can be sent to you by email.

Your Dutch passport and your Australian visa

You can only use your Australian visa if it is linked to your new Dutch passport. If you have a visa sticker in your old passport, you must provide the Australian Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) with your new passport details. You do this using form 929. You can find more information and the form on the department's website. The Dutch embassy or consulate-general cannot mediate for you.

Your Dutch passport and your New Zealand passport

If you hold both a Dutch passport and a New Zealand passport, your Australian visa is probably linked to your New Zealand passport. Although you do not need to actively apply for this visa, you will be known to the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection as a visa holder. In order to renew your Dutch passport, you will also need to submit your VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online). Since you have never received a notification regarding your Australian visa from the Australian immigration service, you can call the service on 131 881 (from inside Australia) and request your visa grant number. You can use this number to request your VEVO on

First-time application

If you have never previously held a Dutch passport or ID card, and you are bringing with you a birth certificate or marriage certificate that was issued in Australia, you must have the document legalised with an apostille.

First renewal after acquiring Australian nationality

If you are renewing your Dutch passport or identity card for the first time since acquiring Australian nationality, you must have your naturalisation document legalised with an apostille.

If you acquired Australian nationality through your partner, bring the letter or email from the Family Law Court that states that you were married at the time of your naturalisation (no record of divorce).

Step 3: Apply at a Dutch border municipality or at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in the Netherlands, you can do so at one of the Dutch border municipalities or at Schiphol Airport.

Step 4: Apply in Australia

If you want to apply for your passport or ID card in Australia, first make sure you have all the required documents. You can see which documents you need by completing the checklist (step 1). You should also check what additional requirements apply in Australia (step 2). Then you can make an appointment.

How do I make an appointment?

Appointment at the consulate-general in Sydney

In Australia you can apply for travel documents at the consulate-general in Sydney, by appointment only. You can make an appointment online.

Appointment at other locations


On September 16, 17 and 18 you can also apply for a passport or ID card in Melbourne. See news article for more information.


The consular team from Sydney will visit Brisbane on October 21 and 22. You can book your appointment online (only) from September 23, 12:00 PM (AEST). You can find more information here.

Appointment at VFS Global in Perth

From November 6, 2019, you can also apply for a Dutch passport or ID card at the VFS Global office in Perth. VFS Global is an external service provider. For each application, VFS Global charges an additional standard service fee on top of the normal passport or ID card fee. VFS Global will send your application to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Netherlands, where it will be processed. As soon as it is possible to make an appointment, you can do so via a link on this page.

How much will it cost?

You can find the price of a passport or ID card in the overview of consular fees in Australia.

You can pay by debit or credit card or with Eftpos. We do not accept cash or personal cheques.

How long will it take?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will first determine if you are a Dutch national. If so, you are entitled to a passport or ID card.

Your passport or ID card will be ready in about 4 weeks. You may be asked to provide additional documents to help us assess your application. If so, it may take up to 8 weeks for you to receive your passport or ID card.

What if I need my passport or ID card in the meantime?

If you need your current passport or ID card while your application is being processed, you can hand it in later, when you come to collect your new one. If your new document is being sent to you by post, you must first send your current passport or ID card to the consulate-general. Only then will the new document be posted to you.

How can I track my application?

When you apply for a travel document, you will receive a track & trace code. This allows you to track the status of your application online status of your application online. You will be informed by email when your document is ready.

Collect your document

You can collect your document from the consulate-general in Sydney:

  • between 09.00 and 12.00 Monday and Friday
  • between 09.00 and 13.00 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

You do not need to make an appointment. First check which days our offices are closed.

Have your document sent by post

You can also have your new passport or ID card sent to you by registered post.

You should provide a pre-paid, self-addressed A4 envelope when you submit your application. The envelope must be suitable for registered post and for signature on delivery. It should hold no more than 4 passports. If you need to submit more, please provide additional envelopes. Other types of envelope will not be accepted. Your document is sent to you at your own risk. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself.
If you want to have your passport sent via express post, we advise you to purchase an express post envelope at Australia post. Please make sure that it has a " signature on delivery" sticker.

What happens to my old passport or ID card?

The consulate will cancel your old passport or ID card and then return it to you.

If your old document contains visas or residence permits that are still valid and you want to keep those pages intact, you should make this known beforehand.

Contact If you have any questions, please contact the consulate-general in Sydney.