Why do I convert a foreign official document into a Dutch official document?

Converting your foreign document into a Dutch document will make things easier in the future if you ever need an official copy of a document. You will simply be able to request an official copy online from the municipality of The Hague. This will save you having to request one from abroad.

Easy but not mandatory

Converting your foreign document is not mandatory. It is useful if you need an official copy or extract in the future. For example, if a civil-law notary or a government authority requests this, or if you are getting married or divorced. You can always request the copy or extract online from the municipality of The Hague. This saves you time and money, because you do not have to request the copy in the country where it comes from. You also no longer need to legalise the converted document for use in other countries within the European Union.

Converting a foreign document

Do you have a foreign birth certificate, marriage certificate, certificate of registered partnership or death certificate? Then you can ask the municipality of The Hague to convert them into Dutch documents.

See how you can have a foreign official document converted



If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.