How can I have a foreign official document converted?

Only the municipality of The Hague can convert foreign official documents into Dutch ones. You can apply online by submitting a form. Gather together the documents required and submit your application online. You will need to send the physical documents by post when the municipality asks for them.

Attention: If you live in the Netherlands, you must first register your foreign document with the municipality where you are registered. The municipality will then enter this document into the Personal Records Database (BRP). After that, you can ask the municipality of The Hague to convert this document into a Dutch document.

Which documents can I have converted?

The municipality of The Hague can convert the following documents:

  • birth certificates
  • marriage certificates or certificates of registered partnership
  • death certificates
Attention: Did you get divorced abroad? And do you want to register your divorce in the Netherlands? Then it depends on your situation where you can do this. For more information, see the website of the municipality of The Hague.

Documents required

In order to have a foreign official document converted, you must upload various documents as part of your application. The documents required depend on the type of document you wish to have converted.

See which documents you need

Submitting an application

If you have all of the necessary documents in your possession, you can apply to have your foreign official document converted by submitting a form online. If you wish to have several documents converted, you can use the same form. 

After you have submitted your application


Once you have submitted your application you will receive a confirmation email containing a reference (LTK) number. The municipality of The Hague will then check to see whether you have provided everything required.

If a document is missing, the municipality will inform you by email and ask you to upload it. You will need to submit a new application to do this. If you have provided everything required, you will receive an email asking you to post the physical document (or documents) to be converted to the municipality. The municipality will check these documents to confirm they are authentic.


If the municipality approves the conversion, it will add your document to the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Registered Partnerships. You will be informed of this by email. The physical documents will be returned to you by registered post.

Attention: This does not mean that your certificate is registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) or the Non-residents Records Database (RNI). Nor will you receive a citizen service number (BSN).

How long does the process take?

Converting a foreign official document into a Dutch one takes 8 months maximum. It is not possible for documents to be processed more quickly. 


You will only have to pay the postage costs for posting your documents and receiving them back by registered post. When your documents are sent back to you, you will also receive a payment request for the return postage from the municipality of The Hague.

Requesting an official copy or extract

If you ever need an official copy or multilingual extract of a converted official document, you can request it online from the municipality of The Hague. This will save you requesting an official copy or an extract in the country where the official document originates.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.