What do I need to have a foreign official document converted?

If you wish to have a foreign official document converted into a Dutch one, you will need to provide various documents as part of your application. The documents required depend on the type of document you want to have converted. The official document must also meet a number of general conditions.


Only documents that meet the following conditions can be converted:

  • The document must relate to someone who is a Dutch national, was a Dutch national or has asylum status in the Netherlands. You will have to prove this.
  • The document must have been drawn up and issued by an organisation that has the authority to do this. This cannot be a Dutch embassy or consulate.
  • The document must be in Dutch, English, French or German. If not, a sworn translation must also be provided.

It does not matter when the document was issued.

Documents required

Lost documents

If you have lost a foreign official document, apply to the place where it was issued for a replacement.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Also useful

How can I have a foreign official document converted?