Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of the United Kingdom

You may need a residence permit if you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days. Depending on your nationality and the purpose of your stay you may also need to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In the United Kingdom, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in London.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in 2 ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Netherlands embassy or consulate-general

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Applying through a host in the Netherlands

Depending on the purpose of your stay, your host may have to submit the application in the Netherlands. This applies if the purpose of your stay is:

  • study
  • work
  • a work placement
  • co-habiting with or marrying someone who lives in the Netherlands
  • family reunification

In these cases your host will be an educational institution, your employer, a family member or your spouse or partner.

Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate-general

For the following purposes of stay you should submit your application for an MVV and residence permit yourself:

Attention: You will find the application form and all information about the required documents and the application procedure on the IND website.

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

How to apply for an MVV in the United Kingdom

Make an appointment at the Netherlands embassy in London to apply for an MVV. Please note that the MVV cannot be issued on the same day as the file has to be sent to the Netherlands.

Along with your passport, you need to submit a completed MVV issue form, passport photographs that meet the Dutch requirements and any other documents stipulated by the IND.

It is important that you apply for an MVV at least 3 months prior to your intended stay in the Netherlands and that your UK residence permit does not expire whilst the application is being processed. The IND has to make a decision within 90 days. 

MVV application for an orientation year as a highly educated migrant

To apply for an MVV as a highly educated migrant seeking employment, please make an appointment via the online appointment system.

You can find more information about the MVV for an orientation year as a highly educated migrant in this information sheet. The information sheet explains the conditions for eligibility, the application process and the payment of the application fee. 

Collect your MVV

After your MVV is placed in your passport, it will be sent to you by mail (Royal Mail Special Delivery).