Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of South Africa

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In South Africa, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Pretoria or at the consulate-general in Cape Town.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in 2 ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Netherlands embassy or consulate-general.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Applying through a host in the Netherlands

Depending on the purpose of your stay, your host may have to submit the application in the Netherlands. This applies if the purpose of your stay is:

  • study
  • work
  • a work placement
  • co-habiting with or marrying someone who lives in the Netherlands
  • family reunification

In these cases your host will be an educational institution, your employer, a family member or your spouse or partner.

Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate

For the following purposes of stay you should submit your application for an MVV and residence permit yourself:

Attention: You will find the application form and all information about the required documents and the application procedure on the IND website.

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Application procedure for long-stay visa in South Africa

Do you require a long-stay visa (MVV), for example au-pair, join your partner in the Netherlands, permanent work, study longer than 3 months or permanent residence? 

You can make an appointment at the embassy in Pretoria or the consulate-general in Cape Town via the online appointment system.

Processing time and collection of long-stay visa applications

After you have submitted your MVV application, the processing time could take up to 15 calendar days.

At the moment of your application you will get a track & trace code. With this code you can follow the status of your application online and you will get an email when your passport is ready for collection at the embassy in Pretoria or at the consulate general in Cape Town.

When you collect your passport you will need to bring the original receipt you got at the moment of your application.

You can collect your passport at the following days and times:

  • Pretoria: Monday until Thursday between 10:00 and 12:00 hours
  • Cape Town: Monday until Friday between 9:00 and 12:00 hours

Before you come to the embassy or consulate-general we advise you to check the days on that our offices are closed.

You can authorize a third party to pick up your passport. This person will always need to bring the original receipt you got at the moment of application.