Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Saudi Arabia

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Saudi Arabia, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Riyadh.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in 2 ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Netherlands embassy or consulate-general

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Applying through a host in the Netherlands

Depending on the purpose of your stay, your host may have to submit the application in the Netherlands. This applies if the purpose of your stay is:

  • study
  • work
  • a work placement
  • co-habiting with or marrying someone who lives in the Netherlands
  • family reunification

In these cases your host will be an educational institution, your employer, a family member or your spouse or partner.

Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate-general

For the following purposes of stay you should submit your application for an MVV and residence permit yourself:

Attention: You will find the application form and all information about the required documents and the application procedure on the IND website.

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

How to apply for a long-stay visa (MVV) in Saudi Arabia?

An appointment is needed to submit your MVV application at the Netherlands embassy in Riyadh. Make an appointment via the online appointment system.

Check the status of your MVV-application.

Check the contact page for opening hours and contact information.

Have your passport with visa sent by post

You can also have your passport with the visa sent to you, for instance by DHL or FedEx courier. You will have to pay the postage charge yourself. You arrange with your courier that they will get your card with the Track & Trace number. With this card the courier can pick up your new travel document at the embassy and send it to you.

Sending your passport with visa to you is at your own risk.