Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of the Philippines

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In the Philippines, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Manila.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in 2 ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Netherlands embassy or consulate-general

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Applying through a host in the Netherlands

Depending on the purpose of your stay, your host may have to submit the application in the Netherlands. This applies if the purpose of your stay is:

  • study
  • work
  • a work placement
  • co-habiting with or marrying someone who lives in the Netherlands
  • family reunification

In these cases your host will be an educational institution, your employer, a family member or your spouse or partner.

Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate-general

For the following purposes of stay you should submit your application for an MVV and residence permit yourself:

Attention: You will find the application form and all information about the required documents and the application procedure on the IND website.

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

You can schedule an appointment for your MVV application via the online appointment system of the embassy.

The processing time for having your passport with MVV sticker ready for your collection is in principle 10 working days.

Passport release

There are 2 ways to have the passport back after processing:

1. Pick-up at VFS Global (not the embassy).

  • a. Please bring the claim stub issued on the day of application (passport will not be released without the stub).
  • b. If with representative, authorization letter and valid ID of the representative.

Note: Passport will not be issued without above mentioned documents.

2. Courier Service:

  • a. Cash on delivery (C.O.D.) via 2GO courier service.
  • b. Pre-paid pouch from LBC courier service. To be provided by applicant.

Exit stamp requirement for nationals of the Philippines

Once you have received your MVV, you may also need to follow a seminar and get an exit stamp from the Commission Filipinos Overseas (CFO). This is a requirement of the Philippines, not the Netherlands. After having obtained the exit stamp of the CFO, you can move abroad. For further details, please consult the website of the CFO (only available in the Philippines).