Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Lebanon

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Lebanon, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Beirut. Read further down this page how to make an appointment. Especially in the case of an MVV for family reunification (nareis asiel).

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Netherlands embassy or consulate-general.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Applying through a host in the Netherlands

Depending on the purpose of your stay, your host may have to submit the application in the Netherlands. This applies if the purpose of your stay is:

  • study
  • work
  • a work placement
  • co-habiting with or marrying someone who lives in the Netherlands
  • family reunification

In these cases your host will be an educational institution, your employer, a family member or your spouse or partner.

Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate

For the following purposes of stay you should submit your application for an MVV and residence permit yourself:

Attention: You will find the application form and all information about the required documents and the application procedure on the IND website.

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

MVV application for work, study or living with a partner

Send an email to the Netherlands embassy in Beirut to make an appointment. The embassy will email you the date of your appointment 1 to 2 weeks in advance.

MVV application for family members of a refugee

If you have been granted family reunification asylum, you can make an appointment to apply for your MVV.

Attention: Please make an appointment within 9 months. Does the approval letter from the IND state a different period to collect your MVV? Then you also have 9 months to make an appointment.

Read more about the MVV for family reunification asylum (IND)

How to make an appointment depends on your situation.

Extra information for Syrian residents with an appointment in Beirut

Show your confirmation email from the embassy in Beirut to cross the border into Lebanon. You will be allowed to enter only shortly before your appointment.

Are you a stateless Palestinian with a travel document issued by the Palestinian or Egyptian authorities? Then your confirmation email is not enough to enter Lebanon. You need a visa from the Lebanese embassy in Damascus.

The Netherlands embassy in Beirut cannot contact the Lebanese border authorities to help you enter. If you can’t enter Lebanon in time for your appointment, email the embassy to make a new appointment.

Read more about the conditions for entering Lebanon on the website of the Lebanese General Security.