Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Ghana

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Ghana, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Accra.

Attention: You can only travel to the Netherlands if you are exempt from the EU entry ban. Please read the entry rules on

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Netherlands embassy or consulate-general.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Applying through a host in the Netherlands

Depending on the purpose of your stay, your host may have to submit the application in the Netherlands. This applies if the purpose of your stay is:

  • study
  • work
  • a work placement
  • co-habiting with or marrying someone who lives in the Netherlands
  • family reunification

In these cases your host will be an educational institution, your employer, a family member or your spouse or partner.

Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate

For the following purposes of stay you should submit your application for an MVV and residence permit yourself:

Attention: You will find the application form and all information about the required documents and the application procedure on the IND website.

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

How to apply for an MVV in Ghana

Make an appointment by sending an email to Please add the approval letter you received from the IND to the email.

Are you a student and do you participate in the Orange Knowledge Programme? In that case, please add the scholarship letter to the email.

Procedure for residents of Côte d'Ivoire, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Togo

Residents of Côte d'Ivoire, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Togo wishing to reside in the Netherlands can also apply for a long-stay visa (MVV) at the Netherlands embassy in Accra.

Residents of Nigeria can also submit their applications at the Netherlands embassy in Cotonou, Benin.

On the day of your application you have the option to either wait during the process of application (this takes up to 15 days), or to request to take your passport so you can return to your country. Passports can then be sent to the embassy via DHL to continue the application process. After completion, you need to arrange for DHL to collect your passport at the embassy in Accra and return it to you.

Collection of passports

Collection times are from Monday to Friday between 8:00 and 10:00 hours.

Before you come, check the days on which the embassy will be closed.

If the applicant is not able to collect his/her decision and passport, the visa applicant may authorize another person to collect it on his/her behalf. In that case the embassy requires a written, signed authorization letter from the visa applicant, including a copy of the visa applicant’s passport.