Netherlands Worldwide

Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of China

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In China, you can apply for this type of visa at the Netherlands embassy in Beijing, or at the consulates-general in Guangzhou or Shanghai.

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in 2 ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Netherlands embassy or consulate-general

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Applying through a host in the Netherlands

Depending on the purpose of your stay, your host may have to submit the application in the Netherlands. This applies if the purpose of your stay is:

  • study
  • work
  • a work placement
  • co-habiting with or marrying someone who lives in the Netherlands
  • family reunification

In these cases your host will be an educational institution, your employer, a family member or your spouse or partner.

Applying yourself at an embassy or consulate-general

For the following purposes of stay you should submit your application for an MVV and residence permit yourself:

Attention: You will find the application form and all information about the required documents and the application procedure on the IND website.

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

Make an appointment at the Netherlands embassy in Beijing, or at the consulates-general in Guangzhou or Shanghai to apply for an MVV in person. The processing time of the MVV is normally up to 10 working days.

Does your approval letter state you need to submit your application in Beijing, but you would prefer going to the consulate-general in Guangzhou or Shanghai? Or the other way around? This is possible. Please first contact the IND for permission, they can change the location of your application.

What documents do I need to bring?

For all staying purposes, you must bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • a completed and signed MVV issue form
  • 2 recent passport photos meeting the requirements (not photo shopped)
  • your passport with at least 2 empty visa pages and a validity of at least 3 more months plus a copy of the holder and signature page
  • a positive notification from IND, if available

You need to bring additional documents to your appointment for the following purposes of stay:

Please note that additional documents can always be requested after you submitted your application.

If your purpose of stay is not mentioned here, please contact the embassy in Beijing, or consulates-general in Guangzhou or Shanghai by sending an email:

Collection of MVV applications

When submitting your application, you will be informed on when to collect your passport with MVV from the embassy or consulate-general. Applicants who live in China can also opt to have their passport returned by post, which can be arranged at our counter when applying.