Applying for an emergency travel document in American Samoa

If your passport or ID card is lost or stolen in American Samoa, and you need an emergency travel document soon, this is how to apply.

Email the embassy or consulate-general in Wellington, New Zealand as soon as possible: Include the following documents and information:

Information needed for your application

  • the telephone number on which you can be reached;
  • your exact travelling route
  • your current location.

Documents needed for your application

  • a completed passport application form;
  • a completed declaration stating that the travel document is missing (C2 Form);
  • two passport photos that meet Dutch requirements. Find out where to obtain a passport photo in American Samoa;
  • proof that you are a tourist or that you cannot postpone your journey;
  • if you will be travelling by plane, train, bus or boat: tickets for the rest of your journey;
  • if possible: a photo or scan of the passport or ID card that was lost or stolen;
  • if possible: other identity documents or photos or scans of them; If you don't have one, include the following details as stated on your lost or stolen passport or ID card:
    • your full name;
    • your date of birth;
    • the name of the authority that issued the document (mayor of...., ambassador to.....);
    • the date of issue;
  • if possible: a police report stating that your passport or ID card was lost or stolen.

Under 18

If the emergency travel document is for a child younger than 18, their parent(s) or guardian(s) must give permission. The applicant must:

The embassy or consulate-general will ask the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for permission to issue an emergency travel document. This usually takes between 1 and 3 working days. If you have not attached a scan or photo of your lost or stolen passport or ID card, the waiting time may be longer.

If the Ministry gives permission, the embassy or consulate-general will contact you to discuss where and when you can apply for your emergency travel document.

Reporting your passport or ID card as lost or stolen

While you wait for a response, you may report the loss or theft of your passport or ID card to the local police. This is not compulsory, but it can be useful. If you file a report, ask the police for written proof. You may need it for insurance purposes or to show the local authorities.

The embassy or consulate-general will tell you when and where your appointment is. Bring all the documents listed above with you to your appointment. You will pay during the appointment. The overview of consular fees in New Zealand tells you how much an emergency travel document costs and which payment methods are accepted.

Once your application has been processed, your passport or ID card will be registered internationally as invalid. This means no one will be able to travel on it. If you find your passport or ID card at a later date, you won’t be able to travel on it either.

The embassy or consulate-general will tell you when and where you can collect your document. Bear in mind that an emergency travel document has a shorter validity period than a passport or ID card.

If the Ministry of Foreign Affairs decides that you need a new passport or ID card instead, the process will take longer. This may happen if, for example, the country you are planning to travel to does not accept Dutch emergency travel documents. In that case you may have to wait for up to 4 weeks.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.