Netherlands Worldwide

How can I exchange my Dutch driving licence in in the United Kingdom

If you live in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland and your Dutch driving licence has expired (or has almost expired), you cannot renew it. Your only option is to exchange your Dutch licence for a British one.

Exchanging your driving licence

You can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a British one at the  Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or the Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA). You don’t need to retake your driving test.

Attention: Your British driving licence may be valid for longer or shorter than your Dutch driving licence.

What do I need?

Visit the British government website for information on the documents you will need  if you wish to exchange your driving licence.

Exchanged driving license?

If your original driving licence was issued by a country that is not part of the European Union (EU) and you then exchanged it for a Dutch driving licence? Please check if you can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a British licence. If this is not possible, you’ll need to take your driving test again.


If you have any questions, please do not hestitate to contact us.

Also useful