How can I exchange my Dutch driving licence in the Czech Republic?

If you live in the Czech Republic and your Dutch driving licence has expired (or has almost expired), you cannot renew it. Your only option is to exchange your Dutch licence for a Czech one.

Exchange your driving licence

You can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a Czech one at the offices of the municipality (městský úřad) where you live. This must be done according to the European rules. You can only have 1 European driving licence. Exchanging your driving licence is only possible if you have been permanently resident in the Czech Republic for at least 185 days. You don’t need to retake your driving test.

Attention: Your Czech driving licence may be valid for longer or shorter than your Dutch driving licence.

Exchanged driving licence?

If your original driving licence was issued by a country that is not part of the European Union (EU) and you then exchanged it for a Dutch driving licence, you may not always be able to exchange your Dutch driving licence in another EU country. The Czech Ministry of Transport (information in English and Czech) can tell you whether you can exchange your Dutch driving licence for a Czech licence in this case. If this is not possible, you will need to take your driving test again.

Lost your driving licence?

Have you lost your driving licence? Then you will need a certificate of authenticity (echtheidsverklaring) from the Netherlands Vehicle Authority (RDW) (information in Dutch) if you wish to apply for a Czech driving licence. The certificate shows whether your driving licence is listed in the Central Driving Licences Register. Visit the website of the RDW for information on how to apply for a certificate of authenticity. There is a fee for this service. Once you have paid you will receive the certificate of authenticity by post at your address.

The certificate is in English. Ask your municipality whether you need a certificate of authenticity and, if so, whether it will need to be translated and legalised. Your municipality can also tell you what other documents you will need. You should also ask the municipality whether they will request the certificate from the RDW or whether you need to do this yourself.

Read more about having documents translated and legalised

Other documents

On the website of the Czech Ministry of Transport you can read which other documents you need for exchanging your driving licence.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.