Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of residence in Vietnam

If you live in Vietnam you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The Netherlands embassy in Hanoi or the consulate-general in Ho Chi Minh City can draw up this document for you.

When do you need a certificate of residence?

A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:

  • in connection with various tax and social security contributions
  • when renewing your driving licence

What documents do you need?

You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
  • proof of your current address
  • proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
    • a Dutch passport
    • a Dutch national identity card
    • a certificate of Dutch nationality

Certificate of residence in this country or region

Besides the above mentioned documents, you also need to bring a proof of your address, e.g. a recent electricity or gas bill with your name and address on it, or a bank statement.

Application procedure for consular certificates in Vietnam

At both the embassy in Hanoi and the consulate-general in Ho Chi Minh City you will need to make an appointment to apply for a consular certificate.

You can make your appointment via the online appointment system.


For the costs and payment methods you can check the overview with the consulare fees.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.