Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of residence in Switzerland

If you live in Switzerland you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The embassy can draw up this document for you.

When do you need a certificate of residence?

A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:

  • in connection with various tax and social security contributions
  • when renewing your driving licence

What documents do you need?

You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
  • proof of your current address
  • proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
    • a Dutch passport
    • a Dutch national identity card
    • a certificate of Dutch nationality

Certificate of residence in this country or region

Application procedure for certificates by mail/ e-mail

For this certificate you can send the required documents by post to:

Netherlands embassy
Attn. Consular section
Seftigenstrasse 7
3000 Bern 14


You can also scan all the documents mentioned above and send them by e-mail. Please clearly state in your email what the purpose of the certificate is as this will be mentioned in the document. Please also state in which language you would like the certificate to be issued. We can draw up the certificate in Dutch, English, French or German.

On average it will take 7 working days to issue the certificate and send it to you by mail. If you have sent us original documents, these will be returned to you.


Please check the overview of the consular fees for the amount due.

Please contact us by e-mail for payment information and the current shipping costs.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.