Applying for a certificate of residence in South Sudan

If you are a Dutch national living in South Sudan, you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The Netherlands embassy in Juba can draw up this document for you.

Information: If you are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) in the Netherlands, apply for this document from the municipality where you are registered. You may need to have the certificate translated and legalised before you can use it outside the Netherlands.

To apply for a certificate of residence by email, follow the steps below.

Step 1: Gather the documents that you need

To apply for a certificate of residence you will need:

  • a valid Dutch passport or Dutch ID card.
  • proof of address. This can be proof of registration with your municipality or, if this is not available in your country, a bank statement or utility bill from the past month bearing your name and address, or a rental contract bearing your name and address.
  • proof that you are legally resident in the country in question, for example a residence permit, work permit or student visa.

When you have gathered all the documents, make a PDF of each document. Please note: photos of documents will not be accepted.

Step 2: Email the documents to the embassy

Send an email to the Dutch embassy in Juba:

In your email you should state:

  • the type of document you need (in the subject line)
  • your initials and surname (in the subject line)
  • your phone number
  • why you need the declaration/certificate. This will be included on the declaration/certificate. 

Attach the required documents to your email as PDFs.

You may be asked to send extra documents if your application is not complete, if anything is unclear or if we have questions.

Receiving and paying for the certificate

You have to request the certificate via email, but you will have to visit the embassy in Juba to receive and pay for your certificate. You will receive an email when you are able to come and collect the certificate. The certificate can not be send to you by mail. 


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.