Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of residence in Mexico

Language selection:English

If you live in Mexico you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The Netherlands embassy in Mexico City can draw up this document for you.

When do you need a certificate of residence?

A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:

  • in connection with various tax and social security contributions
  • when renewing your driving licence

What documents do you need?

You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
  • proof of your current address
  • proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
    • a Dutch passport
    • a Dutch national identity card
    • a certificate of Dutch nationality

Certificate of residence in this country or region

In person

You can make an appointment via the online appointment system.

By e-mail or post

You can scan the documents and send them by e-mail or your can can send them by mail to:

Netherlands embassy Mexico City

Indicate clearly in your e-mail or letter what you need the certificate for. We mention this in the certificate. On average it takes 5 working days to prepare a certificate.


Please check the overview of the consular fees for the costs and payment method.

For delivery service please send a prepaid send label of a parcel service.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.