Applying for a certificate of residence in Iraq

Are you a Dutch national, do you live in Iraq and do you need a declaration of residence? You can apply for the statement in person at the Dutch consulate in Erbil. The Dutch embassy in Bagdad does not issue this certificate.

Information: If you are registered in the Personal Records Database (BRP) in the Netherlands, apply for this document from the municipality where you are registered. You may need to have the certificate translated and legalised before you can use it outside the Netherlands.

To apply for a certificate of residence in person, follow the steps below.

Step 1: Gather the documents that you need

To apply for a certificate of residence you will need:

  • a valid Dutch passport or Dutch ID card.
  • proof of address. This can be proof of registration with your municipality or, if this is not available in your country, a bank statement or utility bill from the past month bearing your name and address, or a rental contract bearing your name and address.
  • proof that you are legally resident in the country in question, for example a residence permit, work permit or student visa.

Do you have all the required documents? Bring the original documents and a copy of the documents with you to your appointment.

If you are applying for a certificate of residence for a child aged under 18, you will also need a copy of their birth certificate to prove you are their parent.

Step 2: Make an appointment

You must make an appointment with the embassy or consulate. Make an appointment at the embassy or consulate by emailing:

In your email you should state:

  • the type of certificate you need (in the subject line)
  • your initials and surname (in the subject line)
  • your phone number
  • why you need the certificate. The purpose of the certificate will be listed on the certificate itself.

Step 3: Pay the fee

A consular statement costs €30. You pay the costs during your appointment.

Read the overview of consular fees to see how you can pay.

Step 4: Receive the certificate

In most cases, you’ll receive the certificate on the same day as your appointment. If this is not possible, inform the staff member during your appointment whether you wish to collect the certificate or have it posted to you.

Check which days the embassy or consulate is closed.

You will receive a multilingual standard form in Dutch, English, French and German. If you need the declaration/certificate in another language, you will need to have it translated by a sworn translator. Ask the organisation requesting the certificate whether you need to have the certificate and/or the translation legalised.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.