Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of residence in China

If you live in China you may occasionally need a certificate of residence.
The embassy in Peking or the consulate in Shanghai or Guangzhou can issue this statement for you.

The consulate general in Chongqing does not provide consular services.

When do you need a certificate of residence?

A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:

  • in connection with various tax and social security contributions
  • when renewing your driving licence

What documents do you need?

You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
  • proof of your current address
  • proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
    • a Dutch passport
    • a Dutch national identity card
    • a certificate of Dutch nationality

Certificate of residence in this country or region

By e-mail

You can scan the documents and send them by e-mail to:

Indicate clearly in your e-mail what you need the certificate for. We mention this in the certificate.

On average it takes 2 working days to prepare a certificate. If you have sent original documents, they will be returned. State your Chinese mailing address in Chinese characters in your message.

In person

You can make an appointment via the online appointment system.


After receiving your request by e-mail, you will receive a message from the embassy with the payment instructions.

Please check the overview of the consular fees for the costs and payment method.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.