Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of residence in Canada

If you live in Canada you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The Netherlands embassy in Ottawa or consulate-general in either Vancouver or Toronto can draw up this document for you.

When do you need a certificate of residence?

A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:

  • in connection with various tax and social security contributions
  • when renewing your driving licence

What documents do you need?

You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
  • proof of your current address
  • proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
    • a Dutch passport
    • a Dutch national identity card
    • a certificate of Dutch nationality

Certificate of residence in this country or region

How do I apply for my consular certificate?

To submit an application in person at the embassy in Ottawa or at the consulate-general in Toronto or Vancouver, please use the online appointment system.  We usually can prepare the document while you wait. When this is not possible you have to come back another day or let it be sent to you by mail.

Do you prefer to mail in your application?

You can also apply for a certificate of residence by mail. Please send your documents to the nearest consular representation in:

Embassy in Ottawa

Consulate-general in Toronto

Consulate-general in Vancouver

In your request you must indicate the purpose for which you need the document. It takes approximately 3 working days to process the application.

The Dutch mission will mail the certificate to you (including any original documents) by regular mail.  If you prefer it to be shipped by trackable mail, please provide a self-addressed Canada Post Xpresspost mailer with your application.


Do you apply in person? Then you can pay with a MasterCard/Visa card, or debit card. American Express card is not accepted. No cash.

Do you mail in your application? Please enclose one of these documents:

  • a certified cheque in Canadian dollars and issued by a Canadian body, payable to: 'Netherlands Embassy'.
  • a money order in Canadian dollars and issued by a Canadian body, payable to: 'Netherlands Embassy'.
  • an authorization form to give the embassy or consulate general permission to use your credit card as a method of payment.
Attention: The price of these products can change between the moment you purchase the money order or cheque and the moment the embassy or consulate general receives your payment method. At a higher price we do not charge extra costs, and at a lower price we do not refund the difference.

You can check the current fees at the overview of consular fees in Canada.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.