When do you need a certificate of residence?
A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:
- in connection with various tax and social security contributions
- when renewing your driving licence
What documents do you need?
You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:
- a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
- proof of your current address
- proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
- a Dutch passport
- a Dutch national identity card
- a certificate of Dutch nationality
Certificate of residence in this country or region
How do I apply for my consular certificate?
To submit an application in person at the embassy in Ottawa or at the consulate-general in Toronto or Vancouver, please use the online appointment system. We usually can prepare the document while you wait. When this is not possible you have to come back another day or let it be sent to you by mail.
Do you prefer to mail in your application?
You can also apply for a certificate of residence by mail. Please send your documents to the nearest consular representation in:
In your request you must indicate the purpose for which you need the document. It takes approximately 3 working days to process the application.
The Dutch mission will mail the certificate to you (including any original documents) by regular mail. If you prefer it to be shipped by trackable mail, please provide a self-addressed Canada Post Xpresspost mailer with your application.
You apply in person? Then you can pay with a MasterCard/Visa card, or debit card. American Express card is not accepted. No cash. Do you mail in your application? Then you enclose a certified check or a money order issued by a Canadian institution, payable to ‘Netherlands Embassy’. You can check the current fees at the overview of consular fees in Canada.
In case you have a question, you can send an e-mail via the contact form.