If you are a Dutch national living in United Kingdom, you can apply for a Dutch nationality certificate. You must provide a number of documents with your application. The documents you need depend on your personal situation.
If you are applying for a certificate in order to keep your Dutch nationality, first read ‘Can I automatically lose my Dutch nationality?’
How you apply for the certificate depends on your situation:
- I have never held a Dutch passport or ID card: you cannot apply for a Dutch nationality certificate. This also applies to children who do not yet have a Dutch passport or ID card. (You can, however, apply for a Dutch passport or ID card if you wish.)
- My Dutch passport or ID card has expired and/or I have a previously issued Dutch nationality certificate: you can apply for a Dutch nationality certificate but you must submit your application by registered post. Find out below how to do that.
- I have a valid Dutch passport or ID card: you can apply for a Dutch nationality certificate online. Find out below how to do that.
Step 1: Create a personal checklist
When you apply for a Dutch nationality certificate, it is important that you provide the right documents. So you should first fill in the personal checklist for you or your child. Then you’ll know what documents you need.
In Step 2, you will see whether there are additional document requirements in the country you live in.
Generate your personal checklist by answering a maximum of 10 questions:
- Your foreign documents may need to be legalised.
- If your document was not drawn up in Dutch, English, French or German, you should have it translated by a sworn translator.
- You may be asked to provide additional documents.
A Dutch nationality certificate is only issued in Dutch.
Step 2: Check the additional requirements/information
Depending on your country of residence, additional document requirements may apply. Below you can find out about the requirements for the United Kingdom.
Proof of legal residence
You must provide proof of legal residence in the country where you live. In the United Kingdom, you can do this by providing one of the following documents:
- a valid visa and supporting documents;
- a valid residence permit;
if you also hold the UK nationality: a valid UK passport or ID card.
Step 3: Apply for a certificate
Find out below how to submit your application.
If you have never held a Dutch passport or ID card, you cannot apply for a Dutch nationality certificate. This also applies to children who do not yet have a Dutch passport or ID card.*
* You cannot use a Dutch nationality certificate for travel or to prove your identity. The certificate only establishes that the holder was a Dutch national on the day that it was issued.
If your Dutch passport or ID card has expired and/or you have a previously issued Dutch nationality certificate, you cannot submit your application by email. Send your application with all the required documents (copies or in some cases originals) by registered post to the consular section of the Dutch embassy or Dutch consulate-general in your country of residence. Or to the nearest Dutch embassy or consulate-general if there is none in your country of residence.
Points to note
- Create a personal checklist to find out what original documents you must submit with your application. It’s important that you include the completed checklist with your application.
- Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your application so that the embassy or consulate-general can return the original documents to you.
- Any foreign documents may need to be legalised.
After checking your documents, the embassy or consulate-general will forward your application to the Consular Service Organisation (CSO) in The Hague. CSO will assess and process your application.
Send scanned copies (PDF) of all the required documents and proof of payment to: email@example.com
If the attachments exceed the maximum size for one email, divide the documents over 2 or more emails.
How much will it cost?
A Dutch nationality certificate costs € 30 per certificate. Please transfer the total amount in euros (EUR) to:
|Bank name||ING Bank N.V.|
|Adress bank||Financial Plaza, Bijlmerdreef 106|
|Postal code bank||1102 CT|
|Account holder||Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)|
|Postal code||2515 XP|
|Location||Den Haag (The Hague)|
|IBAN||NL57 INGB 0705 0010 08|
Important! When making the transfer please state the following: VBN - <your initials and last name> - <your country of residence>.
For example: VBN - PJ Janssen - Spain
Remember to attach proof of payment (for example a copy or photo of your credit card statement / bank statement).
How long will it take?
The average processing time for applications is 4 weeks. If you are asked to send additional documents, processing may take up to 8 weeks. You will receive the certificate digitally by email.
How long is a Dutch nationality certificate valid for?
The validity period of a Dutch nationality certificate is not defined by law. The certificate simply shows that you held Dutch nationality on the date it was issued.
It is up to the organisation requiring you to present the certificate to determine how recently it must have been issued .
What language will the certificate be issued in?
Dutch nationality certificates are issued in Dutch only.
In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.