Certificate of life (attestatie de vita) in Wallis and Futuna

If you live in Wallis and Futuna and you need a certificate of life, the Dutch embassy in Wellington, New Zealand, can draw up this certificate for you.

When might you need a certificate of life?

Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy. You will need to meet the following conditions:

  • you must have a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
  • you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
  • you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate

You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Getting a certificate of life stamped

Information: Did you receive a request from the SVB to prove that you are still alive? You can send a proof of life via an app. Read how to do this on the Proof of life for AOW pension page.

Some financial and benefits agencies draw up their own pre-printed certificates of life. The embassy can sign and stamp these documents. The embassy will sign and stamp the certificate free of charge, unless this can be done elsewhere locally for free.

You will need to meet certain conditions:

  • you must be a Dutch national
  • you must appear in person at the embassy
  • you must produce a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
  • you must sign the documents at the embassy in the presence of an embassy staff member.

Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary

If you are unable to go to the embassy, in some countries you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.

Certificate of life in this country or region

Make an appointment at the Dutch embassy in Wellington

You can make an appointment via the online appointment system.

How much do you need to pay?

For the costs of a certificate you can check the overview of consular fees.

Applications via post or email

For applications by post or email you increase the amount with the shipping costs* for the courier. For both applications by post and via email, the total amount must be paid by cheque to the embassy. Please mention on your cheque:

Kingdom of Netherlands - Regional Support Office Asia, and mention "consular certificate + your name".

Applications in person

If you want to apply in person, you will have to pay the total cost (certificate + shipping costs * if applicable) at the time of your application.

* Shipping within New Zealand: NZD 9.00. Shipping to American Samoa, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Niue, Pitcairn Islands, Tokelau Islands, Tuvalu or Wallis and Futuna: NZD 18.00.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.