Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of life (attestatie de vita) Thailand

If you live in Thailand and you need a certificate of life, the Netherlands embassy in Bangkok can draw up this document for you.

When might you need a certificate of life?

Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:

  • you must have a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
  • you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
  • you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate

You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Getting a certificate of life stamped

Some financial and benefits agencies draw up their own certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can sign and stamp these documents. If the certificate has been issued by a Dutch agency, the embassy or consulate will sign and stamp it free of charge, unless this can be done elsewhere locally for free.

You will need to meet certain conditions:

  • you must be a Dutch national
  • you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
  • you must produce a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
  • you must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member.

If you have a certificate of life issued by a foreign agency, you will need to pay to have it signed and stamped.

Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary

If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate, in some countries you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.

Certificate of life in this country

Pre-printed certificate of life from Dutch authorities

In Thailand you cannot have a pre-printed certificate of life stamped at a local notary public or municipality.

Only the pre-printed certificates of live of the SVB can be stamped free of charge at a local Social Security office or at the honorary consulate in Phuket.

No appointment needed at the Netherlands embassy in Bangkok

You do not need to make an appointment to apply for a certificate of life or to have your preprinted certificate stamped.

You can visit the embassy on the following days and times:

  • Monday to Friday between 08:30 and 11:00
  • Monday to Thursday between 13:30 and 15:00

Before you come, check the contact page of the embassy to see on which days the embassy is closed.

How much do you have to pay?

If the embassy has to draw up a certificate for you, you will have to pay 30 euros per certificate.

Read in the overview of our consular fees how you can pay at the embassy.

How long does it take?

  • A pre-printed certificate of life is immediately stamped and signed. This service is free.
  • In case you don't have a pre-printed certificate: if you apply for the certificate of life in the morning, you can collect it the same day between 14:00 and 15:00.
    Would you like us to send the certificate to you? Then please bring a sufficiently stamped envelope with your name and address in block letters.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.