Certificate of life (attestatie de vita) Mexico

Language selection:English

If you live in Mexico and you need a certificate of life, the Netherlands embassy in Mexico City can draw up this document for you.

When might you need a certificate of life?

Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy. You will need to meet the following conditions:

  • you must have a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
  • you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
  • you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate

You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Getting a certificate of life stamped

Some financial and benefits agencies draw up their own pre-printed certificates of life. The embassy can sign and stamp these documents. The embassy will sign and stamp the certificate free of charge, unless this can be done elsewhere locally for free.

You will need to meet certain conditions:

  • you must be a Dutch national
  • you must appear in person at the embassy
  • you must produce a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
  • you must sign the documents at the embassy in the presence of an embassy staff member.

Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary

If you are unable to go to the embassy, in some countries you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.

Certificate of life in Mexico

You can go to a local notary to have a pre-printed certificate signed and stamped. You will have to pay for this.

You can also have this done at the Dutch embassy. You will have to make an appointment via the online appointment system.

How much do I need to pay?

Signing and stamping of a pre-printed certificate of life at the embassy or by one of the honorary consuls is free of charge.

If the embassy has to draw up a certificate itself, you will have to pay for it.

Please check the overview of the consular fees in Mexico for the costs and payment method.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.