Certificate of life (attestatie de vita) Israel

If you live in Israel and you need a certificate of life, the Netherlands embassy in Tel Aviv can draw up this document for you.

When might you need a certificate of life?

Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:

  • you must have a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
  • you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
  • you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate

You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Getting a certificate of life stamped

Information: Did you receive a request from the SVB to prove that you are still alive? You can send a proof of life via an app. Read how to do this on the Proof of life for AOW pension page.

Some financial and benefits agencies draw up their own pre-printed certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can sign and stamp these documents. The embassy or consulate will sign and stamp the certificate free of charge, unless this can be done elsewhere locally for free.

You will need to meet certain conditions:

  • you must be a Dutch national
  • you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
  • you must produce a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
  • you must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member.

Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary

If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate, in some countries you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.

Certificate of life in this country or region

Application procedure certificate of life in Israel

Pre-printed certificate of life from a Dutch financial or benefits agency

Do you have a pre-printed certificate of life from a Dutch financial or benefits agency such as the SVB, the ABP etc.? Then you can visit the embassy in Tel Aviv during the opening hours of the consular department without an appointment:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 9 AM and 12 noon.

Before you come, check the days on that the embassy is closed.

The embassy will send the stamped form to the Netherlands for you. Stamping, signing and forwarding the declaration to the Netherlands is free of charge.

Certificate of life drawn up by the embassy

If the embassy needs to draw up a statement for you, you can send an e-mail to the embassy to apply for your certificate. You can scan all the required documents and send them as an attachment with your email. Please indicate clearly in your email what you need the certificate for. We mention this in the certificate.

The embassy will let you know when you can pick up the certificate. You can then collect the statement during the opening times of the consular department:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM.

Before you come, please check the days that the embassy is closed.


When you collect the certificate, you' ll have to pay for it. Check the overview with the consular fees for the costs and the payment method.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.