Certificate of life (attestatie de vita) Hong Kong

If you live in Hong Kong and you need a certificate of life, the Netherlands consulate-general in Hong Kong can draw up this document for you.

When might you need a certificate of life?

Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:

  • you must have a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
  • you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
  • you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate

You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Getting a certificate of life stamped

Information: Did you receive a request from the SVB to prove that you are still alive? You can send a proof of life via an app. Read how to do this on the Proof of life for AOW pension page.

Some financial and benefits agencies draw up their own pre-printed certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can sign and stamp these documents. The embassy or consulate will sign and stamp the certificate free of charge, unless this can be done elsewhere locally for free.

You will need to meet certain conditions:

  • you must be a Dutch national
  • you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
  • you must produce a valid Dutch passport or ID card
  • you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
  • you must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member.

Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary

If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate, in some countries you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.

How can I apply for a certificate?

To apply for a consular certificate, you have to make an appointment via our online appointment system.

Preprinted statement from the Social Insurance Bank (SVB)

Would you like to have a pre-printed statement from the SVB signed and stamped? You do not need to make an appointment for this.

You can come by from Monday to Wednesday between 11:00 AM and 11:30 AM.

Before you come, check the address and closing days of the consulate general.


You can check the overview of our consular fees for the costs and the payment method.

How long will it take?

A pre-printed certificate of life is signed and stamped on the spot.

If you don't have a pre-printed certificate of life, you will be informed when you can collect the certificate at the time of your appointment. On average, this is after 1 or 2 working days.

The certificate can be sent to your address if you bring a sufficiently stamped envelope with your name and address on it.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.