If you live in Finland and you need a certificate of life, the Netherlands embassy in Helsinki can draw up this document for you.
When might you need a certificate of life?
Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).
What documents do you need?
To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy. You will need to meet the following conditions:
- you must have a valid Dutch identity document
- you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
- you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
- you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate
You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.
Getting a certificate of life stamped
Some financial and benefits agencies draw up their own certificates of life. The embassy can sign and stamp these documents. If the certificate has been issued by a Dutch agency, the embassy will sign and stamp it free of charge, unless this can be done elsewhere locally for free.
You will need to meet certain conditions:
- you must be a Dutch national
- you must appear in person at the embassy
- you must produce a valid Dutch identity document
- you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
- you must sign the documents at the embassy in the presence of an embassy staff member.
If you have a certificate of life issued by a foreign agency, you will need to pay to have it signed and stamped.
Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary
If you are unable to go to the embassy, in some countries you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.
Certificate of life in this country or region
Application procedure certificate of life in Finland
Please send an email to: HEL-CA@minbuza.nl. The consular department will contact you to make an appointment.
How much do you need to pay?
Please check the overview of the consular fees for the costs and payment method.
In case you have a question, you can send an e-mail via the contact form.