If you live in Australia and you need a certificate of life, the Netherlands consulate-general in Sydney can draw up this document for you. The application must be made in person.
When might you need a certificate of life?
Dutch financial and benefits agencies like the ABP Pension Fund and the Social Insurance Bank may ask you to provide a certificate of life (verklaring van in leven zijn or attestatie de vita).
What documents do you need?
To apply for a certificate of life, you will need to appear in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate. You will need to meet the following conditions:
- you must have a valid Dutch passport or ID card
- you must be able to provide proof of your nationality or nationalities
- you must be able to provide proof of your address and place of residence. For example you could produce a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live
- you must be able to establish your marital status, for example by producing a marriage certificate
You may need to have the original legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.
Getting a certificate of life stamped
Some financial and benefits agencies draw up their own certificates of life. The embassy or consulate can sign and stamp these documents. If the certificate has been issued by a Dutch agency, the embassy or consulate will sign and stamp it free of charge, unless this can be done elsewhere locally for free.
You will need to meet certain conditions:
- you must be a Dutch national
- you must appear in person at the embassy or consulate
- you must produce a valid Dutch passport or ID card
- you must provide proof of your address, for example official documents issued by the authorities
- you must sign the documents at the embassy or consulate in the presence of an embassy or consulate staff member.
If you have a certificate of life issued by a foreign agency, you will need to pay to have it signed and stamped.
Obtaining a certificate from the municipality or a notary
If you are unable to go to the embassy or consulate, in some countries you can instead obtain a certificate of life from the municipal authorities or from a notary in the municipality abroad where you live.
Certificate of life in this country or region
In Australia a pre-printed certificate of life can be signed free of charge at a local Centrelink Service Centre.
It is also possible to have a pre-printed certificate of life signed free of charge at a local police station.
Application procedure for consular certificates in Australia
You can make an appointment via our online appointment system.
You can check the fees and the payment method at the overview of consular fees for Australia.
In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.