Netherlands Worldwide

Certificate of legal capacity to marry in Japan

Are you a Dutch national planning to marry in Japan? If you have never lived in the Netherlands, the Netherlands embassy in Tokyo can assist you in drawing up a certificate of legal capacity to marry.

Have you ever lived in the Netherlands?

Are you a Dutch citizen and do you live in the Netherlands or have you lived in the Netherlands? In that case, you must apply for a Declaration of Marital Status from the Netherlands embassy in Tokyo.

What documents do you need?

To apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, you need copies of the following documents:

  • a valid Dutch identity document
  • an extract from the register of births
  • a civil status extract showing that you are not married. The extract may not be more than 12 months old
  • a divorce certificate if you have previously been married

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

What documents does your non-Dutch partner need?

When you apply for a certificate of legal capacity to marry, your non-Dutch partner needs copies of the following documents:

  • a passport or another identity document
  • an official document stating his or her address (this document varies from country to country)
  • a declaration of unmarried status.

You may need to have the original documents legalised and translated. The rules vary per country.

Certificate of legal capacity to marry in this country or region

In some cases we can access your details via your citizen service number (BSN) without the need for the documents listed above. Send an email with your BSN so we can check for you.

If you have a non-Dutch partner, you can, for example, submit a utilities bill to prove your non-Dutch partner's address.

If your partner is a Japanese national, an extract from the family register (koseki tohon: 戸籍謄本) is sufficient as proof of their unmarried status. If your partner has another nationality, contact their country's embassy in Japan for further advice. The document does not need to be legalised, and can be submitted in Dutch, English or Japanese without a translation.


Documents issued by the Dutch embassy in Tokyo are accompanied by a Japanese translation.

How do I apply for a consular declaration?

You can apply by e-mail:

  1. Send your e-mail to:
  2. Include the name of declaration and your surname in the subject of your email.
  3. Please indicate in the email what you need the declaration for. So the embassy will state the purpose of your declaration in the declaration.
  4. Do not forget to mention your (mobile) telephone number in the email.
  5. Make a PDF of all the required documents and send it as an attachment (a photo of your documents is not allowed).
    Is the PDF file too large to send in one go? Then split the documents and send them in 2 (or more) emails.

Is your file not complete? Or is something unclear or do you have questions? Then you may have to send additional documents.

How much should I pay?

Is your application complete? Then you will receive an e-mail with the following information:

  • The total amount you have to pay: a statement costs €30.
  • The reference number to use with your transfer. Please note: if you do not use the reference number, this will lead to a delay in issuing the statement.
  • Payment instructions: transfer in euros to the bank account of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague.

As soon as your payment has been received, the embassy will draw up the declaration.

You will receive your declaration by mail. You pay postage costs after the delivery.

How long does it take?

After receiving your proof of payment, it takes about 10 working days to process your request.

Do you have to send additional documents because your application is not complete? Then it takes longer.

Any questions?

In case you have a question, you can send an email via the contact form.