Applying for a certificate of legal capacity to marry in Denmark

Are you a Dutch national living in Denmark and do you need a certificate of legal capacity to marry? You can get this certificate from the authorities in Denmark.

Attention: If you are a Dutch national and live in the Netherlands (or have lived in the Netherlands previously), you can get a certificate of legal capacity to marry (verklaring van huwelijksbevoegdheid) from the Dutch municipality where you live or the last municipality you lived in before you left the Netherlands. Go to the website of the relevant municipality for more information.

How do I apply for the certificate?

You can use your MitID (Danish DigiD) to print out a so-called “registerindsigt” with your personal data. You can do this via the LifeinDenmark website.

Don't have a MitID? Then request the statement from the civil affairs department of the municipality where you live.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.