Certificate of residence in the United Kingdom
If you live in the United Kingdom you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The Dutch embassy in London can draw up this document for you.
Due to the corona virus, the possibilities to apply for this declaration at an embassy or consulate-general are limited. Please check the online appointment system to see if it is possible to make an appointment. If no times are available, it is not yet possible to submit an application at the embassy or consulate general.
When do you need a certificate of residence?
A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:
- in connection with various tax and social security contributions
- when renewing your driving licence
What documents do you need?
You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:
- a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
- proof of your current address
- proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
- a Dutch passport
- a Dutch national identity card
- a certificate of Dutch nationality
Certificate of residence in this country or region
Payment instructions for postal applications only
A postal application can only be processed once the appropriate fee has been paid and all the required documents have been received. When applying by post, please include a cheque or postal order payable to ‘Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands’. The applicable fee can be found on the page 'Consular fees'. If you are paying by bank the payment has to be made in euros. Please bear in mind that it may take some time for the embassy to receive confirmation that payment has been made. Therefore you are requested to add a copy of your bank statement proving you paid for the application in order for the embassy to process your application as soon as possible.
Bank details are:
- Payable to: Ministerie van Buitenlandse Zaken, betreft FSO
- Account number: NL74INGB 0705 454177
- BIC/SWIFT CODE: INGBNL2A
- Please start the description of the payment with ‘LON <initials and surname> ' so your payment can be identified as a payment for the embassy in London.