Certificate of residence in the United Arab Emirates

If you live in the United Arab Emirates you may occasionally need to produce a certificate of residence. The consulate general in Dubai can draw up this document for you.

Due to the corona virus, you cannot apply for this certificate at most embassies or consulates-general until further notice. Please check the contact page of the embassy or consulate-general to see if and from when it is possible to apply. Don't see a start date on the contact page? Then it is not yet possible to apply.

When do you need a certificate of residence?

A certificate of residence allows you to prove your place of residence abroad. You need this document:

  • in connection with various tax and social security contributions
  • when renewing your driving licence

What documents do you need?

You need the following documents in order to apply for a certificate of residence:

  • a document showing that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying – for example, a residence permit (this is not required if you live in the EU)
  • proof of your current address
  • proof that you have Dutch nationality. This may be any one of the following documents:
    • a Dutch passport
    • a Dutch national identity card
    • a certificate of Dutch nationality

Certificate of residence in this country or region

In addition to the documents mentioned above, you must also provide the following:

  • A photocopy of your current UAE residence visa and previous residence visas.
  • Proof that you deregistered from the last municipality you lived in in the Netherlands, stating your marital status at the time you deregistered. If you left the Netherlands before 1994, you can request proof of deregistration from the Central Population Registers Office of the municipality of The Hague (tel. +31 (0)70 353 3177/fax. +31 (0)70 353 2850).
  • If you lived in another country or countries after leaving the Netherlands but before arriving in the UAE, you must provide proof of your marital status for the period in which you lived in each country.
  • If you hold another nationality in addition to your Dutch nationality, you must provide a photocopy of your passport or identity card for the other nationality.

Procedure for requesting declarations

Scan the required documents and send them by email to the consulate-general in Dubai.

In your email, you should clearly state why you are requesting the declaration. We will ensure the declaration contains this information.

In addition, you must state whether the declaration needs to be issued in Dutch or English.

Your declaration will be drawn up as soon as all the required documents and information have been received. When your declaration is ready, you’ll receive a confirmation email informing you it can be collected.

On average it takes 5 working days to draw up a declaration.


Payment should be in cash or by bank card/credit card in Emirati dirhams (AED) and can be made at the desk when you collect your declaration.

You can find out how much you need to pay in the overview of consular fees.


If you have any questions, send us a message using the contact form.