Applying for an emergency travel document in Mauritania

If your passport or identity card (ID card) is lost or stolen while you are in Mauritania, follow these steps.

Check whether you need an emergency document

You do not always require an emergency or replacement document. Go to Lost or stolen passport or identity card to find out what to do in your situation.

If you require an emergency document, send an email

If you need an emergency document, email the embassy or consulate-general as soon as possible. See below for contact details.

Include the following information and documents, so that the embassy or consulate-general can process your application:

  • a scan or photograph of your lost or stolen passport or ID card;
    • your full name (as it appears in your lost or stolen passport or ID card);
    • your date of birth;
    • the name of the authority that issued your passport (mayor of...., ambassador to....., consul in...);
    • the date on which your lost or stolen passport or ID card was issued;
  • the telephone number on which you can be reached;
  • proof that you cannot postpone your journey, for example a travel itinerary, flight details, other reservations or a letter from your employer;
  • your current location.

Permission to issue an emergency travel document

After they have received your email, staff at the embassy or consulate will decide what travel document you require, based on your travel itinerary. This will either be:

  • a new passport or ID card;
  • a laissez-passer; or
  • an emergency passport

A Dutch laissez-passer or emergency passport is not accepted by all countries.

After it has received your email, the embassy or consulate will need to ask the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for permission to issue you with an emergency document. It usually takes between 1 and 3 working days for permission to be given.

If you have not attached a scan or photo of your missing passport or ID card, the ministry will check your details with the municipality or authority that issued your passport or ID card. It is only possible to check details Monday to Friday. This may cause a delay.

The embassy or consulate-general will contact you to discuss where and when you can apply for your emergency travel document. You will need to come to the embassy or consulate in person.

Bring the right documents

Make sure you take the following documents with you to the embassy or consulate:

  • a completed passport application form;
  • a completed declaration stating that the travel document is missing (C2 Form);
  • 2 photos that meet Dutch requirements;
  • proof that you are a tourist or proof that you cannot postpone your journey;
  • tickets for your onward journey if you are travelling by plane, train or boat;
  • if possible: a photocopy of the passport or ID card that was lost or stolen;
  • if possible: other identity documents or photocopies of them;
  • if possible: a police report stating that your passport or ID card was lost or stolen.

Emergency travel documents for children

If the emergency travel document is for a child younger than 18, their parent(s) or guardian(s) must give permission. They must sign passport application form and submit photocopies of their own passports.

If this is not possible, bring proof of consent from the child's parent(s) or guardian(s) and photocopies of their passports.

How much does an emergency document cost?

For the cost of applying for a regular or emergency travel document, see the overview of consular fees.

How long will it take?

Issuing a laissez-passer or emergency passport generally takes 1 to 3 working days.

If the Ministry of Foreign Affairs decides that you need a new regular passport or ID card instead – for instance because the country you are due to travel to does not accept Dutch laissez-passers or emergency passports – it will take longer.

Applying for an emergency document in this country or region

To apply for an emergency travel document, please email the embassy in Senegal. Include the information and documents listed above, so that the embassy can process your application.