Applying for a long-stay visa (MVV) for residents of Japan

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV).

In Japan, you can apply for this visa at the Netherlands embassy in Tokio.

The information on this page is also available in: 日本語

Do I need an MVV and/or a residence permit?

You should check whether you need an MVV and/or a residence permit. This depends on things like your nationality and the purpose of your stay.

Applying for a residence permit and an MVV

You can apply for a residence permit and an MVV in two ways:

  • through a host in the Netherlands (such as an employer, family member or educational institution)
  • in person at a Dutch embassy or consulate.

If you have a host in the Netherlands, in most cases your host will have to submit the application to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

First check whether you need to take the civic integration examination.

What is your situation?

Click '+' to make your selection

Long-stay visa for residents of this country or region

MVV applications can only be submitted at the Netherlands embassy in Tokyo. The consulate-general in Osaka does not have a consular section.

Please bring a completed MVV form, zairyu card and passport photo with you. Please be sure to check all the requirements for the photo here. Please do not bring any photo's with blue backgrounds; we can only accept white or light grey backgrounds. 

If you are submitting your passport with your application and you want it to be sent directly to you after being processed, please fill in this form and bring it with you when you apply in Tokyo.

Make an appointment via our online appointment system.

Check the status of your visa application.

Check our contact page for information about our opening times and contact information.